¿Sin ganas de leer mucho? Date una vuelta por el Tumblr de Su Nombre en Vano

Friday, May 28, 2010

Lost in Faith: The finale

I just finished Lost.

I had to write here and now, otherwise the feeling would be, well, lost, among reviews and opinions of others. Everyone is a critic, you know.

Oh, yes, this has spoilers. If you plan to watch it and enjoy it, stop reading.

As I said, I just watched the final episode. During the month I've been watching Lost I was very careful in not allowing any spoiler in my sight. Yet, after the airing of the finale, that became more difficult.

One of the spoilers that got filtered was that "the island was the purgatory." That made me lose a little bit of interest, especially after comparing Jacob and The Man in Black with, obviously, God and the Devil, one trying to protect others and doing "everything with a purpose" (an idea that still is disgusting) and the other tempting and tricking. I thought "At the end, this might be a huge apologetic story" that when someone tells you that "something is for a reason" you just follow and believe and everything is right.

Well, it was kind of like that in many ways. However, despite this fact (especially when Jack becomes another "we-are-her-for-a-reason" Locke) the final episodes were moving and worth watching. More than believing blindly, it was about what would you do for others. That hit me when Desmond, the Desmond from the alternative reality, starts trying to reunite all the people. Good old Desmond, who, by the way, is Peruvian.

Jack was the last one to know, or better said, to remember. That reminded me a lot of Evangelion (totally geeky comparison, I know), when Shinji is that last one who needs to "understand" and when he does, everyone receives him and is happy (episode 26 from the series). Jack remembers, helped by his father, and understands how important was his life on the island and the necessity to move on. And when he does, everyone is happy, all of them, all his friends. Jack stole the show, on that last episode, both by remembering and understanding, and for saving the island.

The escape on the plane made me remember of Stephen King's Langoliers, and later made me realize how alike were these two. The plane, the group of strangers, the monster, etc. The emotion that is felt when the plane escape was very alike, yet, greater, since Sawyer, Kate, and the others truly deserved to escape.

These two are great points that made me enjoy the series' finale. However, something that really surprised me how strong was the religious imagery and references at the end. The church, the finding loved ones, the reward for all the suffering, all of that can be compared to Christian mythology. Yet, it was beautifully put and truly enjoyable. Maybe I'm making the mistake of comparing it to Christian mythology for this being the one I best know; maybe there are other sets of beliefs that I can compare the references to. But that doesn't change anything. It was a good way to end everything. Everyone is dead, but happy, there is no more. Kind of like The End of Evangelion.

Finally I just had a dejavu of me writing something similar. As much a skeptic as I am, I conclude that there is no "predicting the future" in dejavus, just the sensation of it. But now, it made me think of another hypothesis: that there is an alternate reality in which I'm doing the same. Of course, this doesn't make much senses, but I have to admit it is the "Lost" effect.

Well, that ends Lost for me. I just read a review (just after finishing the Last paragraph. It wasn't very kind, and was somehow right. But fuck it, I liked it.

4 comments:

  1. I started watching Lost in 2007, when a friend gave me the seasons 1 to 3 and, of course, I liked the series so much. Instead if the finale event is what the fans expected, I strongly believe that many of the misteries couldn't be solved because Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof did some [many] things wrong, for example the "Waaaaaaaalt misteries". When the writers wanted to explain the situation the kid wasn't a kid anymore and trying to fix the problem would have been even more difficult. But in the other hand it's ok for me if many misteries are still being that. Magic things really fit to this program. By the way, the series' end was awesome and I can´t wait for the complete Blu Ray collection.

    Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the Waaaaaalt! part could have been explained using flashbacks, because, at the end, no one ever knew what made Walt so especial. Another very strange thing was that Locke and Eko shared dreams, which really doesn't fit with all of the other mysteries of the island. However, with all the magic and inaccuracies, once you pass the point in which you wonder "how is this possible", Lost becomes very, very enjoyable. Thank you for, in part, encouraging we to watch Lost after all the stuff you said on twitter, facebook, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that smokey was wondering who will be his "container" in the future. He wanted to manipulate a man of faith, just as Locke and Eko were. I think they shared dreams because smokey was making them to feel confused in those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice theory, it would have been awesome if they had explained, or at least hinted that during the series. Also, Eko could have have a more complicated and explainable death instead of "Smokey did it"

    ReplyDelete

Blasfema libremente

"Que esté permitido a cada uno pensar como quiera; pero que nunca le esté permitido perjudicar por su manera de pensar" Barón D'Holbach
"Let everyone be permitted to think as he pleases; but never let him be permitted to injure others for their manner of thinking" Barón D'Holbach