¿Sin ganas de leer mucho? Date una vuelta por el Tumblr de Su Nombre en Vano

Thursday, October 8, 2009

AAIC Chronicles Episode IX: Saturday - Daniel Dennett

Saturday was scheduled to be the most important day of the convention. On Saturday Richard Dawkins was going to speak and I can bet the whole convention was going to be there.

By the way, something I had noticed the day before and that really struck me that day was the number of old people present. I thought I would see mostly youngsters, since old people tend to be conservatives. But I was wrong. At least 75% of the attendees were over 40.

Anyway, that day I got late for the convention. As soon as I arrived to the hotel I went to check in the room I had booked. I left my stuff there, took a good shower, rested a little bit and went down to see what was going on. I met with Gerardo and then went walking around seeing what else the vendors had. There I got the autographs from Mr. Deity , and Carolyn Porco, a renowned astronomer. Also, got a picture with Michael Shermer, founder of The Skeptics Society.



Then was the event with Daniel Dennet, who made a point by saying that nobody could go through seminary still believing in all they tell us. Yet, it’s very hard for priests and pastors to accept that and leave behind what they have been doing. I am not really sure that could be the case. Most of the priests and pastors seem very sure about what they believe and do their stuff with such passion it’s hard to think they do not really believe what they preach. I have to get one of Dennett’s books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blasfema libremente

"Que esté permitido a cada uno pensar como quiera; pero que nunca le esté permitido perjudicar por su manera de pensar" Barón D'Holbach
"Let everyone be permitted to think as he pleases; but never let him be permitted to injure others for their manner of thinking" Barón D'Holbach